The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation offers a number of scholarship opportunities. Take a look at the list below:
- Armed Forces Scholarship: One $2,000 scholarship for the dependent of an active duty enlisted (E1-E9) Coast Guard or Navy personnel stationed in Portsmouth, Virginia, or the child/grandchild of a retired E1-E9 living in Portsmouth; graduating high school senior, accepted or enrolled in an ACE accredited community college or four-year college or university with a GPA of 2.5 or better. Previous recipients may apply for a second scholarship.
- Calder S. Sherwood Memorial Scholarship: Two $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to a graduating senior at each of the three Portsmouth public high schools each year. The scholarship will be renewable for a total of four years as long as the student maintains a 2.5 GPA at a Virginia college or university that is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Universities. Students will be selected by the scholarship committee at their high school. Each applicant must be of good character, be in the upper 20% of their class, and show financial need on the application. Please apply for this scholarship through your school’s scholarship counselor, not SEVACF, by April 1st.
- C.H. Jordan Memorial Scholarship: Scholarship award(s) available to students who are members of Third Baptist Church in Portsmouth, Virginia and who are pursuing a college or seminary education.
- Eastern Amateur Golf Scholarship: Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to a graduating senior in Tidewater, Virginia. The student must be/or have been a member of their school’s varsity golf team.
- Foskey-VanDyck Scholarship: One $1,000 scholarship available to Portsmouth and Western Branch high school seniors pursing higher education at James Madison University majoring in music education, music, or other with a preference in that order.
- George F. Bogdan Scholarship: Two $1,100 scholarships for dependents of Virginia State Police Division 5 Hampton Roads. For application, please contact Marshall Bolton at 757-484-5818. This application has a deadline of May 2.
- Horace Savage Scholarship: $1,000 available every other year (2013, 2015 etc.) for I.C. Norcom High School seniors to attend a Virginia ACE Accredited institution of higher learning. Two $1,000 scholarships will be awarded in 2017.
- International Federation of Professional and Technical Engineers Local #1 Ralph McElfresh Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 available to Local #1 employees, retired employees, and their children and grandchildren.
- Jarrod B. Shivers Memorial Scholarship: One $1,500 scholarship for (in order of preference) police officers, children of deceased police officers who were not killed in the line of duty, and children of current police officers.
- Josef D. Collins Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 scholarship for an I.C. Norcom High School senior pursuing a degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) or Arts at an ACE-accredited community college or 4-year college or university. Selection will be based on the following criteria: financial need, academic merit, and community service.
- Portsmouth Service League “PSL” Scholarship: Two $1,000 scholarships for a Portsmouth female resident pursuing a higher education at an ACE-accredited community college, technical school, professional program, or 4-year college or university. The applicant must have a proven record of community service. In addition, the applicant must provide (1) a letter of acceptance from educational institution (2) a reference from someone affiliated with the service organization/project (3) a second reference (4) a 1-page statement (see below). While both scholarships require the female to be a Portsmouth resident, only one of the scholarships requires the applicant to be a high school senior of Portsmouth Public Schools. Otherwise, the applicants can be any female living in Portsmouth who is trying to advance her education in any program.
- Mike Moreland Humanitarian Rotary Memorial Scholarship: $2,500 scholarship for anyone seeking higher education with a proven record of volunteerism and humanitarianism.The student must go to school or live in Portsmouth, Western Branch, or North Suffolk.
- W. Clayton Robertson Memorial Scholarship: $1,000 scholarship available to Portsmouth public high schools and Western Branch High School seniors attending Clemson University OR a Virginia resident attending Medical College of Virginia with a GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Official high school transcript and SAT/Achievement scores
- Two letters of reference
- One page essay describing your educational dream, how you plan to impact the future; and any special circumstance or information that may be helpful to the selection committee.
- Additional essay required for: Portsmouth Service League “PSL” Scholarship: (250-500 words) How do you live PSL’s vision statement, “To empower innovative women to lead and serve while leaving a positive legacy on the community and each other”? W. Clayton Robertson Memorial Scholarship on why you wish to attend Clemson University or Medical College of Virginia, and Foskey-VanDyck Scholarship: What is your goal and what support system do you have to achieve your goal? Why you have chosen music or music education as your focus?
SEVACF WILL BE ACCEPTING SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS FROM January 15th – APRIL 30TH .