The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation issues grants to eligible non-profit organizations that serve the varying needs of our community.
Grant applications are accepted twice annually. Applications are due January 15th and July 15th.
Priority is given to projects that:
- Address current pressing problems
- Reach a broad section of the community
- Demonstrate innovation
- Have a track record of success
- Encourage matching gifts or added funding from other sources
- Yield substantial benefits for the costs involved
- Promote cooperation among agencies within their fields of interest
The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation will not approve grants from discretionary funds under normal circumstances for:
- Organizations not tax-exempt under the IRS Code
- Deficit financing
- Projects normally the responsibility of a government agency
- Any organization that has received a discretionary grant from The Foundation within the preceding year
Grants are awarded for a single year. Second and third year funding may be awarded at a reduced rate, but will require submission of separate proposals. Consideration for second and third year funding will be determined based on first year performance and securing additional funding from other sources.
All grant applicants will be notified upon a decision by the Board. We ask that you do not call the Foundation office to inquire about board action on a grant proposal prior to receiving notification about the board’s action.
Learn how to apply.
For all grants awarded during the fall and spring grant cycles, a Project Grant Agreement is due to the Southeast Virginia Community Foundation within three weeks after funding.
For all grants awarded during the fall and spring grant cycles, a Final Grant Report is due to the Southeast Virginia Community Foundation within one year of funding.