The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation is a non-profit, community corporation created by and for the people of Portsmouth, Chesapeake and the surrounding communities. Since 1965, the Southeast Virginia Community Foundation has helped people who share a common goal of improving life for all in our community build a legacy through meaningful philanthropic giving.
The Southeast Virginia Community Foundation brings personalized service, local expertise, and leadership to our region by investing in the long term, convening diverse voices to address local issues and opportunities, and monitoring all areas of the community to identify the resources that shape it. We can help you make a difference in the areas you care about most.
Community foundations represent one of the fastest growing areas of philanthropy. When charitably minded people like you seek suitable ways to give, we can help you make a difference.
- Year Founded – Founder Frank Kirby received first $500 gift from Arthur Kirk in 1965
- Assets (as of 12/31/13) – More than $12 million
- The Foundation has two competitive grant rounds each year, once in the fall and once in the spring, with applications due January 1st and July 1st.
- The Foundation funds throughout South Hampton Roads, but has preference for programs in Chesapeake and Portsmouth.
- We make grants in the following program areas:
- Arts and Culture
- Civic and Economic Development
- Health and Human Services
- We make it easy for donors, nonprofits, and professional advisors.